NEW (14.12.2010): Photoalbum
ABSTRACT BOOK (pdf) now available!
Dr John Derome (1947-2010) had over a forty-year career as a research scientist in the Finnish Forest Research Institute. His research area covered a wide range of forest soil science, including studies on the soil effects of prescribed burning, fertilization, liming and air pollutants. He was also a dedicated member of international ICP-Forests monitoring community.
In the memory of John Derome, we will arrange a seminar on the 30th of November, 2010 in Rovaniemi, Finland (Rovaniemi Map Service). The seminar will focus on the scientific work in which John was involved during his career - not forgetting the immemorial moments which we have shared with him.
We have three main themes in the seminar:
I Domestic cooperation
II Finnish-Norwegian-Russian cooperation
III ICP-Forests/Forest Focus/FutMon cooperation.
One-day seminar will include invited oral presentations, a poster session and a banquet. The abstracts of the seminar will be published in Metla's Working papers (Working Papers of the Finnish Forest Research Institute). Both online (pdf) and paperback versions of the abstracts will be available.
Posters related to the themes are welcome. Please submit 1-page abstract of your poster by 20th October 2010 by email: email@example.com. Please follow the Abstract preparation guidelines. See also Example of printed abstract.
Instructions for posters
The maximum size of the poster is 95 cm (wide) x 115 cm (height).
- Besides the title, the poster should clearly indicate the author(s) and affiliation, but otherwise you are free to make the layout as you wish.
- Posters will be issued with a number and this number will be used to identify your poster place, check the number when doing registration.
- Poster session area: poster exhibition room nearby auditorium.
- Posters can be mounted on Monday night (29.11.) or Tuesday morning (30.11.).
- Poster may be attached by thumb tacks, pins or tape, which will be made available.
- Posters should be removed after the poster session or latest after the banquet on the Tuesday night.
Deadline for registration: 20 October 2010. There will be a registration desk in the lobby of Sky Hotel, where you will receive your abstract book, name badge, agenda etc.
The meeting will take place at Lapland Hotel Sky Ounasvaara, Rovaniemi, Finland (Rovaniemi Map Service). Rovaniemi is the capital of Lapland in Finland, located at the northern Arctic Circle.
Lapland Hotel Sky Ounasvaara
Ounasvaarantie, 96400 Rovaniemi
Tel: +358 (0)16 323 400
Fax: +358 (0)16 318 789
Please note, that the weather in Rovaniemi can be cold at the November. See local forecast.
The conference fee is 50 euros including morning and afternoon coffee or tea, lunch and seminar package.
Payment methods: credit card or invoice (please, use payment form). If paying by invoice remember to mark it on your registration form and you will receive the invoice by ordinary mail, the deadline for payment will be the one mentioned in your invoice. All fees included value added tax (VAT) 23 %.
If you have any questions or requests regarding your registration or payments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refund and cancellation policies
Refund of registration fees will be made if written notification of cancellation is sent to the Organizing Secretariat as follows:
- cancellation received by 15th November 2010 - full refund
- cancellation received after 15th November 2010 - no refund will be made
- cancellation with medical certificate - full refund minus handling charge.
A limited number of rooms at the meeting venue in Rovaniemi have been reserved for the John’s seminar participants. Prices: single room 86 euros/night and double room 49 euros/person/night.
Please note that participants are requested to make their own hotel reservation directly to the hotel. Please use the booking code jdseminar when making your reservations. Please make your reservation by e-mail (email@example.com) by 29th of October.
In addition there are plenty of other hotels available in Rovaniemi, see www.hotelworld.fi
A banquet dinner will be held on Tuesday night (30th of November) at the Sky hotel. The cost of the dinner is 60 euros/person.
How to reach Rovaniemi
From Helsinki there are direct flights (about 90 mins) and train connections (about 11 hours) to Rovaniemi. More information, see how to reach Rovaniemi.
- Ph.D., Researcher, Liisa Ukonmaanaho, Phone: +358 29 532 5115, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Assistant Riitta Maunuvaara, Phone: +358 29 532 5152, email@example.com
Any person who needs an individual invitation (for national administrations; visa applications etc.) should inform us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to meet you in Rovaniemi, Finland.