Metla Research Programmes
Forest Management Planning (MTS)
Keywords: forest management planning, forestry modeling, management planning inventory, optimisation, participatory planning, simulation
Objectives The aims are:
- to integrate effectively data, methods and tools in planning and decision making processes,
- to provide information on the production possibilites of Finnish forests for national and regional forestry programs,
- to provide results for practical forestry and forest information systems,
- to develop up-to-date and easy-to-use information products and services for the public use,
- to assist in the utilisation of the analysis results by developing visualisation and interpretation.
The research projects intend
- to develop and maintain data input, models and methods for forestry analysis and planning,
- to maintain and develop JLP and MELA software,
- to utilise the MELA system in different forestry analysis for research, decision and policy making, and
- to provide software and analysis products for decision and policy makers.
- MELA99-, MELA2000-, MELA2002-, MELA2004- and MELA2005-software.
- DemoMELA and NettiMELA internet applications.
- Regional analysis of timber production possibilities based on NFI9 data.
- Analysis of timber production possibilities for regional forestry programs.
- Analysis of the role of peatlands in the Finnish forestry and cutting possibilities after forest taxation transition period.
- New information on participatory and interactive planning, updating of forest resource information and its reliability, optimal combination of forest data and models, and applicability of the MELA software in computational updating, in the analysis of energy wood potential, impacts of climate change, and development of forest biodiversity.
- A new simulation language.
The Finnish Forest Research Institute > Luke,
PO Box 68 (Yliopistokatu 6), FI-80101 JOENSUU, FINLAND,
phone +358 29 532 2111,
Top of page