The Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla) is part of the Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke) from 1.1.2015
Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla) Strategy
A lasting foundation for the well-being and prosperity of the Finnish people, established by the sustainable, versatile use of forests.
The Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla) is a specialist research organisation which develops solutions to the challenges and questions posed by the care, utilisation, products, services and intangible value of forests.
Our operations are scientifically and socially influential, promote the competitive edge of business activity based on forests, and support regional development. Metla’s products and services, and the data and know-how Metla generates and actively communicates, are utilised both nationally and internationally in the advancement of the bioeconomy.
Our activities have the following areas of strategic influence:
1) entrepreneurial and business activity based on forests,
2) forests and the community,
3) sustainable silvicultural chains and
4) a forest economy- and forest environment -based knowledge pool.
Our strategic objectives are as follows:
- Business activity established on the basis of wood and forest biomass will increase vigorously and the value of both products and services will grow.
- The economic, social and ecological operational prerequisites of forestry as well as its acceptability will improve.
- Forest-related business operations based on intangible-value services will grow and become more comprehensive.
- Sustainable silvicultural chains will enable the versatile usage of forests under changing conditions.
- Forestry- and forest environment-based knowledge pools will be applied extensively and effectively for the promotion of bioeconomics and well-being.
How we operate
- The values guiding our operations are predictability, creativity, reliability and interaction as well as expertise and well-being at work.
- Our operations are customer-oriented and based on scientific data and expertise. In terms of resourcing, we focus on fulfilling research activity requirements. We function in a predictable and flexible way.
- Our operational culture supports know-how as well as continuous learning. We are establishing the foundation for well-being at work with good, stimulating management and active, open interaction.