The Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla) is an independent research organisation operating under the supervision of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Metla's mission is to promote the ecologically, economically and socially sustainable development of the forests and forestry through research. In order to meet these goals,
- Metla conducts research and generates research information about forest nature and environment, and different uses of forests, as well as about forestry and the forest cluster
- Metla serves the information end-users and acts as an expert in a wide range of forest-related statistical, monitoring and inspection tasks
- Metla is responsible for forest-tree breeding at the national level, and conducts research in forest genetics
- Metla performs the tasks assigned to it as a state authority
- Metla publishes research results and serves information users by informing them about the latest results, events and other major topics related to forest research and forestry.