Metla Project 843002
Monitoring changes in the carbon stocks of forest soils
Research project group: Forest Health Monitoring
Objectives The objective of this study is to develop methods needed to monitor changes in the carbon stocks of forest soils.
In this study
The project is part of the EU-funded Forest Focus Programme.
- The rate of change in the carbon stock of soil will be simulated for forest sites under different management scenarios with different stand, site and climatic conditions.
- The validity of the simulated changes in the soil carbon stock for different forest sites will be tested with experimental data.
- Within-site spatial variation in the amount of soil carbon will be quantified.
- Efficiency of the soil sampling will be optimized in terms of the reliability of the estimate for the change in soil carbon.
- The costs of monitoring changes in the carbon stock of forest soil will be quantified for the different sampling methods.
More about the project Background
The Finnish Forest Research Institute,
PL 18, FI-01301 VANTAA, FINLAND
Phone: +358 29 532 2197
Häkkinen, Margareeta (2005-07), Lehtonen, Aleksi, VA (2005-07), Muukkonen, Petteri (2005-07), Peltoniemi, Mikko, VA (2005-07)
Top of page