The Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla) is a specialist research organisation which develops solutions to the challenges and questions posed by the care, utilisation, products, services and intangible value of forests.
Job description: The Peatland Ecology Group at the University of Helsinki and the Finnish Forest Research Institute seeks a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on Plant-soil processes in peatlands under a warming climate. We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher for a three year position (01.04.2011 - 31.03.2014). The position will be based at the Department of Forest Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland and partly at the Southern Unit Vantaa of the Finnish Forest Research Institute. The appointee will participate full-time in a project funded by the Academy of Finland and entitled "Plant-soil processes in peatlands under a warming climate". This project will investigate the impacts of warming and water table level drawdown on:
- Carbon gas exchange between ecosystem and atmosphere;
- Above- and below-ground carbon inputs into the soil (quantity and chemical quality);
- Organic matter decomposition; and
- Allocation of carbon within the system.
The project includes a considerable amount of field work.
The working place information: Finnish Forest Research Institute, Jokiniemenkuja 1, 01301 where the position is placed. In addition the chosen candidate has to work also at the University of Helsinki, Viikki Campus.
The applicants should:
- Have a PhD with research experience in ecology or comparable fields (e.g., biology, forest sciences, biogeochemistry);
- Have knowledge of vegetation, carbon gas dynamics and northern ecosystems;
- Be motivated to carry out field studies
- Have experience in analysing complex data;
- Have desire and proven ability to prepare manuscripts for peer-review in a timely manner.
Additionally we would appreciate:
- Understanding in process modelling;
- Understanding in organic chemistry;
- Experience in labelling experiments.
The position is based on the FFRI salary level 9 (2882,07 €/kk) with a personal results based addition possibility up to 50 %. Working time: Official working hours.
Apply by 1.4.2011 16.00
Applying at www.valtiolle.fi with the key numbers 400-41-11 is recommended.
You can also apply by sending your application to:
Finnish Forest Research Institute
P.O.Box 18 (Jokiniemenkuja 1)
Key numbers (400-41-11) must be stated in both the envelope and application.
Eevastiina Tuittila, tel. +358-9-19158147, email@example.com
Hannu Fritze, tel. +358-40-8015416, firstname.lastname@example.org