Professor of Statistical Methods
The service relationship is valid until further notice.
The Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla) is a research and expert organisation subordinate to the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Metla provides solutions for challenges and questions regarding forest management and utilisation, products, services and immaterial values of forests.
The post of Professor of Statistical Methods, area of application forest sciences, is open at Metla. Key research themes and the field of study of the Professor in Statistical Methods will be as follows over the next five years:
- to research and develop the statistical methods and especially their applications to producing, analysing and modelling spatial, temporal and spatiotemporal data needed in forest research, including design and analysis of experiments,
- to take responsibility for the methodological training and guidance of Metla's researchers,
- to research and develop the utilization of Metla’s extensive knowledge pools, by means of statistical mathematics and data analysis.
A doctoral degree is required of the professor, as well as strong familiarity with the duties in question. Successful performance of the task requires close familiarity with research and development in statistical and mathematical methods and their applications in the forest sciences, together with strong skills in monitoring the information requirements of forestry, as well as in carrying out own research and development activities. The task requires good communication skills and the ability to cooperate with the representatives of different branches of forest science.
The applicant shall briefly present his/her vision of an operational plan (maximum 2 pages) covering the post’s key forthcoming tasks.
The candidate will be regarded as having excellent oral and written knowledge of Finnish and satisfactory oral and written knowledge of Swedish. If needed, the candidate can apply for an exemption concerning these requirements.
The salary is determined in accordance with Metla's remuneration system and complies with competence level 13–14. It comprises a task-based component related to the required competencies (competence level 13 €4,190.81/month, 14 €4,635.09/month). In addition, a component based on personal performance is remitted.
More details available at: www.metla.fi/avoimetpaikat/index-en.htm
Applying for the post
Applications must be submitted in writing and addressed to the Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla). Information on when the application period will end and the address to which the application should be sent will appear in the application announcement.
The following should be enclosed with the application:
1) Extract from a personal file or similar clarification (if the applicant does not maintain personal files); the extract from a personal file must be submitted no more than three (3) months prior to submission of the application and the résumé must be officially authenticated
2) A brief curriculum vitae in accordance with the instructions
3) A list of publications grouped as follows:
(1) articles in refereed international journals;
(2) articles in refereed international scientific compilations as well as in international scientific conference publications;
(3) articles in refereed Finnish journals;
(4) articles in refereed Finnish scientific compilations and Finnish scientific conference publications;
(5) scientific monographs;
(6) other scientific publications, such as articles in unrefereed scientific journals and conference publications, in addition to publications in university and department series
4) A brief explanation must be provided of important research merits, from the perspective of the post applied for
5) Operational plan
The application must be addressed to the Finnish Forest Research Institute. Four identical copies shall be sent to:
P.O.Box 18 (Jokiniemenkuja 1)
The application period ends June 10, 2011 at 4 p.m.
For more information, please contact
- Director of Research Leena Paavilainen, tel. +358 29 5322020, leena.paavilainen @ metla.fi
- Senior Researcher Risto Häkkinen, tel. +358 29 5322053, firstname.lastname@example.org.